As an organization that provides tools for efficient volunteer management and community service, concern for the environment and promoting sustainability are not only harmonious with what we do, but integral to Samaritan’s mission, professional activities and organizational management. We strive to follow and to promote good sustainability practices, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities, and to help our clients and vendors to do the same locally, nationally, and world-wide.
Our Sustainability Policy is based upon the following principles:
- Appreciation and concern for the world we live in, those we currently share it with, and those who will inherit it from us.
- Compliance with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and requirements.
- Integrating sustainability considerations into all our business decisions.
- Ensuring that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- Making our clients and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy, and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices.
In order to put these principles into practice we:
Travel and meetings
- Walk, cycle and/or use public transport to attend meetings and site visits, apart from exceptional circumstances where the alternatives are impractical and/or cost prohibitive.
- Avoid unnecessary travel by making use of instant messaging, video and audio conferencing, telephone and email.
- Reduce the need for staff to travel by supporting alternative working arrangements, including home working, and promote the use of public transport by locating our office in an accessible location.
Purchase of equipment and consumption of resources
- Minimize our use of paper and other office consumables; for example, by double-siding all paper used, and emailing quotes and invoices, and arranging for electronic payment when possible.
- As far as possible, arrange for the reuse, recycling, sale, or donation of office wastes (including paper), computer supplies and redundant equipment that is no longer of use to the company.
- Purchase products made with recycled paper when available and comparably priced.
Working practices and advice to clients
- Undertake voluntary work with the local community and / or environmental organizations.
- Ensure that any associates that we employ take account of sustainability issues in their advice to clients.
- Encourage our staff and employees to make sustainability including waste reduction, recycling, use of renewable energy sources, and community service a part of their personal and family lives, in addition to their work.
- Encourage our subcontractors and vendors to make sustainability a priority in their organization.
- Include a copy of our Sustainability Policy in all our proposals to clients.